Locations > Bridgetown Priory
Bridgetown Priory or Abbey, near the confluence of the Awbeg and Blackwater rivers, was founded for Augustinian monks in the 13th century by Alexander FitzHugh.
Soon afterwards, it was owned by the Roches. Henry VIII dissolved the priory in 1540. Bridgetown has a cloister, kitchens, refectory, chapter house and church. Its ruins, now extensively restored, are open to visitors all year around.
Address: Bridgetown Priory, Castletownroche, Cork, Ireland
Region: North Cork
Architectural / Churches / Rural Landscapes