Locations > Clonakilty Roman Catholic Church
Clonakilty Roman Catholic Church
This cathedral sized church was opened for worship on Sunday 25th July, 1880, after 10 years work. This church is 18th century French Gothic in style and is of green sandstone which was quarried locally and dressed in this yard by local craftsmen. Visually, it is one of the largest and most impressive Churches in the County and would make a magnificent location for wedding or religious scenes if lit correctly. The surrounding town is very attractive with multi-coloured shops, a Beautiful Georgian Square, an old Brewery with high brick chimneys, a pretty bridge, and directly across the road the old Presbyterian Church which is now the only Post Office to be located inside a Church in Ireland!
Wicklow granite is used in the surrounds of the doors and windows. The inside reveals some fine examples of stained glass, hand carved statues and altars in pure white Sicilian marble.
This church has a commanding position right in the centre of the town and is part of the Diocese of Cork & Ross.
Address: Clonakilty, Western Road, Clonakilty, Co. Cork
Region: West Cork
Telephone: +353 23 883 3165
Contact: Monsignor O’Brien
Architectural / Churches